FreeBSD Update and !i386 platforms

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 31 21:04:07 UTC 2006

I'm not subscribed to this list, but I hear that there
have been some questions about FreeBSD Update and !i386
playforms here.

The current situation is as follows:
1. The client code works on several platforms (the ones
listed as working in the port).
2. The server code might work on some non-i386 platforms,
but probably not.
3. In any case, I'm not building updates for non-i386
systems yet.

The client port is marked as working because, well, it
does work.  As long as there are updates for it to fetch. :-)

For what it's worth, getting the FreeBSD Update build code
running on other platforms, and getting updates built for
at least AMD64 (other platforms will depend upon the demand
and availability of build hardware) is one of my goals for
the summer if I can raise enough money:
  http://people.freebsd.org/~cperciva/funding.html

Colin Percival