cupsd or cupsd.sh, that is the question

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 28 21:59:48 UTC 2006

Fritz Heinrichmeyer wrote:
> Hello, i thought it is a convention to install boot scripts with ending
> .sh? At least cupsd is the first script i notice that does not follow
> this convention.

We are migrating to making the LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and X11BASE/etc/rc.d
directories act just like the /etc/rc.d directory, so the idea is that at
some point in the future (likely years + 2 full versions of FreeBSD) we will
have all scripts in the local directories conform to the rc.d style, and
installed with just their service names (foo instead of foo.sh). Then if
there is demand for it, we will enable the sourcing of local foo.sh scripts
into the startup shell, like the ones in /etc/rc.d are done now. Currently,
all local scripts are executed in a subshell.

The logic for whether to install a local script as foo, or foo.sh is built
into bsd.port.mk, and is dependent on whether or not your base OS is new
enough to have the requisite local_startup support. Either way, there should
be no functional difference as to how the things work.

hope this helps,

Doug