Suggested port: open source Xara Xtreme

Vasil Dimov vd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 21 17:06:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:03:43AM -0800, Jason Evans wrote:
> Vasil Dimov wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:20:58PM +0100, pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Vasil;

> >In spite of the scary errors I continued hacking and hit some serious
> >issue: they use a function malloc_usable_size() which is defined like
> >this on linux, but unavailable for FreeBSD:
> >
> >/* Report the number of usable allocated bytes associated with allocated
> >   chunk __ptr. */
> >extern size_t malloc_usable_size __MALLOC_P ((__malloc_ptr_t __ptr));
> >
> >Any ideas for alternatives?
>
> FreeBSD doesn't have malloc_usable_size().  In general, it isn't needed
> (and it is definitely a non-standard function).  You should be able to
> restructure the Xara Xtreme source to avoid its use.
It isn't needed when developing new software, but it would greatly
facilitate porting efforts of software that uses it.
Yes, I can deep-hack the software to not use that function but this
would mean a lot of changes and will be tedious to support with
future versions of the software.

I will try to use devel/libdlmalloc to see what happens, e.g. whether
there are other "unresolvable" problems with the source :)

Greetings!

--
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF at dv

Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra