portmanager confusion

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 04:28:04 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 20:08, Randy Bush wrote:
> # portversion -v
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 542
> packages found (-534 +534)
> (...)/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkgdb.rb:466: [BUG]
> Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-freebsd7]
>
> Abort trap: 6 (core dumped)
>
> as i said, i suspect a broken data structure in a file.  but what
> do i know?  and, until one finds the bugs, suspicions are cheap,
> especially those of folk such as i who have not spent time to look
> at the code.
>

> -current as of two days ago.  i don't use portsnap because i use
> cvsup and it is not clear to me that portsnap gets me more than
> cvsup does, i.e. the ports tree.  am i missing something here?

They both update the ports tree. The difference is the time needed to do
it. (once it has been run the first time) It takes about 55 seconds to
run portsnap, and portversion to find out what ports are in need of
upgrading. It used to take me about 12 to 15 minutes doing it with
cvsup and portversion. If I used portsdb instead of portversion, it
would take about twenty minutes longer. So, I guess you have to decide
decide for yourself which way you want to upgrade the ports tree. As
for me, I've decided on which way I like to do it.

> > I thought I was doing a quick help. I don't want this turning into
> > a 3 or 4 week debacle like the last couple I've been involved in.
> > So, answer the questions, and anything else that would be a big
> > help, like: just what is it you want to accomplish. If you answer
> > all the questions, and I continue to help you, there may be other
> > things I need to know.
>
> i am missing the technical question here.  is there some url for an
> oath of fealty i am missing?

Not really. You don't have kiss my toes or anything like that. Just help
others to help you, and that's it in a nutshell. I recently spent about
4 weeks (others did also, I'm not the only one) trying help someone who
took all the advice given and twisted it to work with his methods. It
didn't work, and as far as I know, he still can't do a buildworld
sequence successfully.

> randy

I see by another post, that you've blown away the portsdb and are
rebuilding it. Good Luck. I hope that solves your problem.

Don