Ruby oddity (pthreads)

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 12 16:22:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

rushani> I found the rskkserv (ports/japanese/rskkserv; Simple Kana to Kanji
rushani> conversion server program in Ruby) eats much CPU time.  This results
rushani> in increased load average (over 1, here).  It also prevents one of
rushani> powerd(8) merits (i.e., battery life improvement) on cpufreq-awared
rushani> laptops.

rushani> When I disabled pthreads support for Ruby by WITHOUT_PTHREADS knob,
rushani> the problem has gone.  I confirmed it on FreeBSD 6.0 and
rushani> ruby-1.8.4_4,1.

rushani> I would like to see ports/lang/ruby18 will be built without pthreads
rushani> support by default.

It is known issue that japanese/migemo is not buildable with pthread
enabled ruby.  Further, I heared that there are problems with pthread
enabled ruby.  I think that we should disable pthread support of ruby
by default, too.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/