opinions on porting software in alpha state?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sun Mar 5 14:51:40 PST 2006

Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've successfully ported some software products, but now I doubt
> if I should actually submit these ports, because these programs are
> in alpha state. They are usable, yes, but as it may be expected
> from alphas they are quite buggy, and some functions don't work.
> So I wanted to ask for opinions - are such ports welcome or
> should I better wait for more mature releases?

If you make them into ports then you are potentially doing people a big
favor.  Because if someone else wishes to try out the alpha quality
software, you have made it easy for them.  As long as the port has
warnings in it that the software is alpha quality, you do no-one a
disservice, but quite the contrary.

So I say, go ahead and submit it.

Stephen