gtk lib rename.

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Mar 2 11:14:28 PST 2006

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:46:43 +0100 (CET)
> marcov at stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) wrote:
> > I've been getting reports that gtk 1.2 libs were renamed from gtk12
> > to gtk-12 ?
> >
> > This breaks both code and ports (like e.g. lang/fpc-devel).
> >
> > Could this be reverted please?
>
> No; it has been done with reason and a lot of work, please see last
> days mails.

Have searched, but only see the symptoms, not the announcement of the cause.
Could you provide me with a subject to search on, or simply state the
reasons and transition situation? (I had some users asking questions)

Are symlinks auto installed for now? And if they are installed are they also
installed for the static libraries?

> Please recompile affected ports and tell us if something is broken so
> we can fix it.

I don't see what recompiling will help, since the result will be binary the
same, the bootstrap compiler hasn't changed, except that now programs that
try to use the renamed modules won't link.

It will need some script to detect what the situation is, which library is
called, and that will then need to patch the interface units in the sources.

(search for a {$linklib xxx} that directive makes the connection between a
compilation unit and a library XXX. It is possible that some of the actual
function declarations also code the library name, but this is probably some
string constant somewhere). The units are somewhere in packages/ Don't
forget gtk2,gnome* if that also changed)

Of course this will only fix the port, and I still have to find some !#@&$^ way to
keep our binary distributions functioning on old and new FreeBSD
installations, since that is still our primary distribution method.