best practices for private ports?

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Thu Mar 2 08:18:26 PST 2006

I have a few meta-ports I use to configure my base systems.  eg, I
have a "kci-dbserver" port that just has runtime requirements for
postgres, slony, mysql, and nullmailer.

Right now I made a subdirectory in ports called local to put them in,
but portsnap likes to delete it regularly :-(  These are very
specific to my server configurations so don't really make sense for
inclusion in the main ports tree.

What is the preferred location/mechanism for having local ports?
Ideally I'd like it to integrate with portupgrade which looks only
in /usr/ports/* for the port files.