Question about Apache2 Port and FreeBSD 6 kernel options

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Sun Jun 25 12:11:55 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 01:41:20PM +0200, FreeBSD-Ports wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I installed a custom kernel from 6.1-RELEASE-p1 source and after
> that Apache2 will not start anymore. It segfaults when starting. After
> making and installing a GENERIC kernel Apache does start and runs fine!
> The Apache errors I got are:
>
> - in httpd_error.log: Sun Jun 25 12:21:44 2006] [warn] pid file
> /var/run/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache
> run?
> - in /var/log/messages: Jun 25 12:21:44 lambda.socruel.nu pid 2608
> (httpd), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)

"Exiting on signal 12" means that httpd tryies to use syscalls
that your kernel doesn't support. I think that the removal of
"options SYSYV*" is the cause of your problem.
Could you please tries those 2 tests to confirms this?
1.
rebuild a custom kernel, named TEST, which is the same as your custom
one, except you keep SYSVS* options.
Then boot on it, and test if httpd starts properly.
2.
Rebuild apache when you run your custom kernel to see if configure
script catch the lack of SYSVS support.

regards,
clem