libtool's raison d'etre (Re: NOT installing the .la files)

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jun 16 21:09:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-Jun-16 19:52:28 +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>Mikhail Teterin pí??e v pá 16. 06. 2006 v 13:09 -0400:
>> reason for devel/libtool* existence. What is it used for now -- why is it
>> better, than the libtool, that comes inside the vendor tarball? What am I
>> missing?
>
>Using libtool which comes with the vendor tarball is preferred, today.

Note that whatever libtool (specifically libltdl) is used, it needs to
be patched to know that the FreeBSD dynamic linker already tracks
dependencies.  By default, libtool will do its own dependency
management.  This can result in massively poor startup performance (eg
15 minutes instead of 5-10 seconds for gnucash).  See ports/94826 for
the fix (which is already in the upstream libool).

--
Peter Jeremy