NOT installing the .la files

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Wed Jun 14 20:16:45 UTC 2006

середа 14 червень 2006 12:09, Michael Nottebrock написав:
> Of such a buildtime error? No. Here's a line from an typical libtool
> archive:
>
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -L/usr/local/lib -lz /usr/local/lib/libiconv.la -lm'
>
> libtool will use that verbatim during linking.

I think, it will use that verbatim only if it detected the presence of
libiconv.la earlier -- just as the literal "/usr/local" must be a
configure-time setting.

The libiconv-1.9.2_1 installed on this computer, for example, did not come
with a libiconv.la. Yet everything seems to have built fine after it...

Unless there is a convincing example of things breaking without an .la file,
these should be deleted. We went through more trouble over pkg-comment files.

	-mi