Questions on Porting

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 10:11:52 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I'm currently attempting to create my first port (for
SSL-Explorer<http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do>)
and wanted to make sure I was on the right track before continuing any
further. First, I'd like to know if anyone else has begun this already as I
wouldn't want to continue on duplicating the effort. If anyone has already
begun this, please let me know. My second question is one concerning best
practices for porting software such as this that requires user interaction
during the build and installation. Basically, to install this (java-based)
software you need to build it using ant (devel/apache-ant) which doesn't
just build, but actually opens up a TCP port and has you browse to it via
HTTP and create the initial configuration through a web interface. So my
question is should something like this be ported in a way that it merely
installs the source into, say, ${LOCAL_BASE} and then just prints
pkg-message with brief installation directions, or should it actually be
built during "make install"? I ask because I would think the latter is a
security concern to anyone who hasn't used the port before and may not be
keeping an eye on the build.

Any and all comments appreciated!

-David

P.S. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions once this one's out of the way.
;)

--
[root at fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.