The future of Gentoo ports

Alexander Leidinger netchild at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 9 19:50:14 UTC 2006

Quoting Vasil Dimov <vd at FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 9 Jun 2006 21:40:41 +0300):

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:57:25AM +0200, Kvesdn Gbor wrote:
> [...]
>> This introduces a new group of ports (linux_dist*) that are complete
>> linux environment for cross-development, etc. At the same time a
>> WITH_LINUXBASE macro should be added for installing them into
>> ${LINUXBASE} and this requires a conditional CONFLICTS with another
>> linux_base ports.
>
> I think it would be great if one can have more than one linux_base port
> installed at the same time. Something like
> /usr/compat/linux_debian
> /usr/compat/linux_suse
> /usr/compat/linux_fc
> /usr/compat/linux_gentoo
> /usr/compat/linux_rh
> and /usr/compat/linux being a symlink to the "default" one.
>
> Does anyone think that this would be useful?

Are you willing to do the interoperability testing on every change of
everything? I suggest to think about what "everything" means. Take
also into accound support requests from users (and don't forget what
they expect from something like this).

Bye,
Alexander.

Every love's the love before