portsconf (Was Re: portmaster)

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Wed Jun 7 23:17:29 UTC 2006

+----[ Alex Dupre <ale at freebsd.org> (07.Jun.2006 16:08):

| Florent Thoumie wrote:
| >It should not be portmaster specific. The error has been made with
| >portupgrade and portmanager. Please don't do it again.
|
| You are absolutely right.
|
| >I've proposed a somewhat hackish solution for this some weeks ago:
|
| And I've extended it to create a primitive but usable port:
|
| http://www.alexdupre.com/portconf.tar.gz
|
| Please test and comment.
|
| I've happily replaced portupgrade with portmaster + portconf.

+----]

Alex,

everything is working for me. However, the issues about
truncated values described in
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2006-May/032068.html
still exist.

So, to your pkg-message I would add that care should be
taken to avoid quoting the values of variables or else
strange things would happen.

Using the cases described in the above reference (in
ports.conf):

this works:
CONFIGURE_ARGS=--enable-xxx --disable-yyy --with-zzz

but these doesn't
CONFIGURE_ARGS='--enable-xxx --disable-yyy --with-zzz'
CONFIGURE_ARGS="--enable-xxx --disable-yyy --with-zzz"

even if the latter two would work on the command line. I
still don't understand how truncation happens :(

Finally, for consistency (and this is just a cosmetic
issue), I'd either rename the port to 'portsconf' or rename
the configuration file to 'port.conf'

i.e.

the script 	=> portsconf
the config file => ports.conf
the port	=> portsconf (PORTNAME= portsconf)

or

the script	=> portconf
the config file => port.conf
the portname	=> portconf