portupgrade ideas page

Hannes Hauswedell hannes.hauswedell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 12:12:58 UTC 2006

> Portupgrade ideas page was created on our wiki server:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/portupgrade
>
> I would like to hear your ideas, wishes and comments.

1) i would wish for portupgrade to automatically meet new requirements upon
upgrading. both pkg_add and make install do this, portupgrade should too.
upgrading a port and not installing a new requirement is almost never desired
and shouldnt be default. (i.e. -R should not be required for this, instead if
at all it should be achieved by -N )

2) when using portupgrade in -P mode it should check dependencies before(!)
doing a make install, otherwise requirements will always be installed via
source, even though a current package might exist. an example:
port A has no package and requires B that does have package. if i
portupgrade -P "A"
both are installed from source although B could have - and following the
manual for -P, should have - been installed via package.

anyway thank you very much for your work!
greetings
hannes hauswedell