Using darcs to retrieve source in ports

Stanislav Sedov ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru
Sat Jul 29 13:35:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:52:20 +0100
Ian Morrison <ian at darq.net> mentioned:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to build a port of PacketForth, (https://packets.goto10.org/)
> and it's going pretty well.  However, as it's still in the early stages
> of development, there are no tarfiles available online, and the
> preferred method of fetching the source is by using the darcs version
> control system.  The single command I ran to get the source was "darcs
> get http://url" and I was wondering it's possible for a port to retrieve
> files in this way.  I've been following the porters handbook, but it
> assumes use fetch(1) for everything.  Should I tar up the sources
> periodically and host them on a webserver somewhere?  Is that the
> preferred way of doing things?
>
> Thanks for any help guys,

It would be better to create a snapshot and upload it somewhere.
Although it is impossible to redefine do-fetch target and get
files  from CVS/darcs it would be hard to check files consistency,
since their sizes will vary depending on snapshot date/time/revision,
so you should provide tag/date switch to repository checkout program.

Additionally, you should issue own checksum checking code or add
every file in distinfo/DISTFILES.

--
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru>
Россия, Москва         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581