devel/rlwrap PTY problems

Phil Pennock phil.pennock at globnix.org
Thu Jul 27 13:54:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

rlwrap is failing "rlwrap: error: Could not open master pty:
Input/output error" on FreeBSD 6.1.

Upon investigation, I see that the configure script is hardcoding the
list of PTYs to scan based upon those found in /dev/ at time of
compilation.  This obviously does not work well with devfs.

Since FreeBSD now has openpty(), the fix is to NOT put
"ptyttylib_cv_ptys=BSD" into CONFIGURE_ENV.  I can confirm that an
rlwrap() built in this way appears to work for FreeBSD 6.1/amd64 (I can
"rlwrap tclsh8.4" and get history and the like; no extensive tests have
been performed).

I don't know which release made devfs the standard, but I suspect that
you're looking at another ".if ${OSVERSION}" check.  :^(

Thanks,
--
VISTA: Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans & Adware