vim7 broken or not broken or?

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Wed Jul 19 16:46:21 UTC 2006

neko at mithrandir:/usr/ports$ portupgrade -f vim
** Port marked as IGNORE: editors/vim:
        is marked as broken: does not compile on 4.X; use editors/vim6 instead

neko at mithrandir:/usr/ports$ vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Jul  5 2006 15:35:44)
Included patches: 1-4, 6-26, 29-31, 33-35
Compiled by neko at mithrandir.softwarenexus.net

neko at mithrandir:/usr/ports$ uname -a
FreeBSD mithrandir.softwarenexus.net 4.9-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #0: Mon Oct 27 17:51:09 GMT 2003     root at freebsd-stable.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I got this version from ports the day it hit the tree, an upgrade from
vim6 (using the "vim" port directory). How come if it doesn't compile
on 4.X, I am running it now, compiled from the port?

A bunch of other stuff I have compiled is marked as broken too and no
major updates were posted. They just get marked as broken for 4.X or
"does not compile at all".

However I am having insane libtool problems with mod_python3 and mod_auth_pam2
which I cannot resolve. Does anyone actually check if these things really do
work or are they just being marked to close down the ports bug list as fast
as possible?

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Manager, Genesi, Developer Relations