hpijs/hplip, foomatic-rip, and CUPS 1.2.0

Anthony Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 23:05:45 UTC 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 11:19 PM, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> Anthony Agelastos wrote:

>>> You need to restart CUPS when the printer "attaches" via USB or
>>> else CUPS won't know about the USB port and you'll get this error
>>> every time.
>>
>> I just did a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart and then printed
>> something from my laptop. Same error.
>> dell# lpstat -t
>> scheduler is running
>> no system default destination
>> device for Create_PDF: cups-pdf:/
>> device for hp_LaserJet_1160Le: /dev/ulpt0
>> Create_PDF accepting requests since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
>> hp_LaserJet_1160Le accepting requests since Sun Jul 16 22:36:15 2006
>> printer Create_PDF is idle.  enabled since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
>> printer hp_LaserJet_1160Le is idle.  enabled since Sun Jul 16
>> 22:36:15 2006
>>         /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed
>> hp_LaserJet_1160Le-30   iqgrande          7168   Sun Jul 16
>> 22:36:02 2006
>>

>>> jmc
>>

> What are the permissions/ownership on /dev/ulpt0?
>
> jmc

I do not remember if I created the user + group cups & hplip or if
the system automatically did so for me. In any event, there are the
following entries:

/etc/passwd
cups:*:193:193:CUPS Owner:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
hplip:*:116:5:HPLIP Server:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

/etc/group
cups:*:193:

Do these appear correct, or do I need to change them? Thank you for
your assistance.