What the hell is going on with mplayer?

Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 15 00:06:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:43:01 +0200
Heino Tiedemann <rotkaps_spam_trap at gmx.de> wrote:

> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Heino Tiedemann <rotkaps_spam_trap at gmx.de> (from Thu, 13 Jul
> > 2006 15:23:07 +0200):
> >
> >> I just wanted to so a simple »portupgrade mplayer-gtk«, and see what
> >> habens:
> >>

> >> ** Detected a package name change: mplayer-gtk (multimedia/mplayer)
> >> -> 'mplayer-gtk2-esound' (multimedia/mplayer)
> >>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>                     What a surprise, name change. Not mentioned in UPDATING
> >
> > Does it needs to be mentioned? portupgrade is able to handle it
> > without *special* instructions in UPDATING.
>
> Well, okay. this is not necessary.
>
> But all the new kobs (specially the new defaults!) should be
> mentioned.

 [ ... ]

> All the stuff is configurable with "make config". But how should
> someone know, that this is specially this time necessary. I 've
> mplayer installed, a long time ago. All portupgrades were trouble-free,
> since now.
>
> It COULD be trouble-free, if any information about the new knobs will
> be transfered to the users (e.g. in UPDATING).
>
> A Tip that it is better to run "make config", would be enough.

Maybe.

The new version of the port was posted for testing here a since
a few weeks back. I believe it received 2 or 3 feedback emails (one of
which mine).

The PR stayed in the queue more that a week. I received exactly one
feedback email (from a fellow commiter fixing mostly a few style things).

Maybe the maintainer got more feedback on private.

I will check the OPTIONS handling and commit the needed fixes, thanks
for reporting.

This being said, the tone of your emails could be better.

BOFH excuse #323:
Your processor has processed too many instructions. Turn it off
immediately, do not type any commands!!