print/cups-base 1.2.0_2 and locally connected printer

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 18:12:31 UTC 2006

Heino Tiedemann wrote:
> I found 2 Solutions fpr the permissions:
>

> Solution a)
>
> ,----
> | I've added the following to /etc/devfs.conf:
> | own     lpt0    root:cups
> | perm    lpt0    0660
> `----
>

> Solution b)
> ,----
> | Add following lines to /etc/devfs.rules:
> |
> | [system=10]
> | add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
> |
> | And following to /etc/rc.conf:
> |
> | devfs_system_ruleset="system"
> `----
>

> Is there one way to prefer?

Solution a) only works for devices which are present when the system
boots up. It is fine for parallel port. Solution b) works for devices
that come and go, too. It is required for ulpt devices.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD