i386 packages on amd64

Vasil Dimov vd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 5 08:43:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 12:27:48AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> [[ please redirect this if this isn't the right place ]]
>
> I'd like to install OpenOffice on my amd64 box. All attempts that I've
> made to compile it have failed.  Usually due to java compilation
> issues.
>
> So, I thought I'd install the i386 binaries from the package cluster
> snapshots on the amd64 box.  Before I did this, however, I thought I'd
> ask to see if there might be any gotchas here.

I think you will step into dark and unkown territory (anyone who has
succeeded using i386 OO on amd64, please correct me).

Yesterday I compiled openoffice.org-2.0.3 on my amd64 box
(compilation time 410 min) without any problems. So I think you should
first be more tenacious about getting the OO-amd64 to compile before
trying the i386 version.

Btw if you want I can send you the amd64 package
openoffice.org-2.0.3.tbz (110M).

Good luck!

--
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF at dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra