6.0-RELEASE as an office desktop?

Beech Rintoul akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
Mon Jan 30 12:16:09 PST 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 10:57, James B. Van Bokkelen wrote:
> I am using a Dell D610 laptop as a dual-purpose machine.  The current
> release of the product I'm working on uses FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE, and
> I am building kernels and applications using it.  With this machine,
> I am trying to get away from using WinXP for mail and office documents.
>
> I installed the distributed Gnome 2-2.10.2 and generally like it.
> Because Gnome's mail tools don't do IMAP with local mail storage for
> off-line use, I installed the thunderbird-1.0.6 package. It is usable,
> but has problems fixed in 1.0.7 or 1.5.  I attempted to build 1.5 from
> ports, and while the result worked, shared library changes apparently
> broke Gnome, so I reinstalled 6.0-RELEASE and went back to 1.0.6.
> Finally, it appears that no Open Office package is available for
> 6.0-RELEASE (1.0.3_6 wants much older ORBit and glib).  I started to
> build OO from ports, but the makefile warned me it needed 9GB free,
> which would require another cycle of re-installation to obtain.
>
> So, it appears that I'm stalled.  Building from ports introduces
> library skew issues which compromise the machine as a development
> environment.  But obtaining Open Office for 6.0-RELEASE appears to
> raise the bar beyond what I can justify to get shut of Windows.
>
> I know the volunteer nature of this - the first software I released
> under a "copyleft" was for DECUS in the early 1980s.  But I would like
> to suggest that future RELEASE distributions have a goal that a usable
> office desktop environment be obtainable in a straightforward way,
> either from the distribution CDs, or via the net using 'pkg_add -r'.
> The 6.0-RELEASE Gnome comes close, but the lack of a canned Open Office
> should, IMO, be remedied.

You might want to consider using KDE as your desktop. KMail works with IMAP
and the KOffice suite is very functional. IMHO, KDE is a far more mature
application than Gnome and can be added as a port or package.

> And in the mean time, if anyone wanted to supply me a clue or two, or
> point me at a package built for 6.0-RELEASE for either Open Office
> 2.x or Thunderbird 1.5, I would be quite pleased.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com