gamin vs fam

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Mon Jan 30 08:12:38 PST 2006

On 30 Jan eculp at encontacto.net wrote:
> Quoting Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org>:
> >- Gamin still only implements a subset of fam's functionality and
> >until that changes should *never* become the default -> POLA.
> >
> >Quite frankly, I think whoever in portmgr approved this change should
> >go to storage, fetch themselves a nice pointy hat from storage and
> >then back out this mess.
>
> While this is being decided.  What is the recommended work-around for
> those of us who depend on courier/fam and are now seeing "Stale
> dependency" on most kde and gnome ports when running pkgdb -F? This
> makes using portupgrade a bit of a hassle.

I have changed this for most kde/gnome ports to FAM.
Hope this will not harm the system too much ;-)

But a real solution would be nice.
I also totally agree to the statement that a replacement has to be
*fully* compliant to the replaced piece of software.

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.0 +++ The Power to Serve