gamin vs fam

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 29 13:04:59 PST 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:17:28 +0100
Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org> wrote:

> dick hoogendijk schrieb:
> > Upgrading my ports collection I noticed a lot of ports that wanted to
> > install gamin. This didn't work though, cause files are installed at
> > the same place as FAM (already installed on my system as a dep of
> > courier).
> >
> > Running pkgdb -F everytime is not pleasant. What is (are) the advantage
> > (s) of gamin over fam? Is it wise to change to gamin?
>
> The recent change of the USE_FAM default was done without proper testing
> - others have already reported problems with gamin, especially in the
> case of courier-imap.

The first part of your statement is not right. Gamin has been
successfully tested by a considerable number of GNOME users during the
last 9 months or so.

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org