gamin vs fam

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 29 04:17:33 PST 2006

dick hoogendijk schrieb:
> Upgrading my ports collection I noticed a lot of ports that wanted to
> install gamin. This didn't work though, cause files are installed at
> the same place as FAM (already installed on my system as a dep of
> courier).
>
> Running pkgdb -F everytime is not pleasant. What is (are) the advantage
> (s) of gamin over fam? Is it wise to change to gamin?

The recent change of the USE_FAM default was done without proper testing
- others have already reported problems with gamin, especially in the
case of courier-imap.

You can however avoid the pkgdb -F dance (if you compile from ports):
Set WITH_FAM_SYSTEM=fam in /etc/make.conf - this will change the default
back to fam.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org