icon for AMD Opteron

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Jan 19 23:16:20 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:53:56PM -0800, Paul Scherf wrote:
> Is there a way I can find out whether amd64 is not included because some part
> of it is known not to work, or just no one tried it on amd64?

According to the cvsweb log at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/icon/Makefile,
the port was marked 'i386 only' in 1999 (long before we had amd64 and
others), and alpha was added in 2001.  The most recent commit seems to
indicate that testers are needed to figure out if it works on the other
architectures these days.

> I might be interested in fixing some things to get them to run on amd64.

We are always happy for the help.

> About the time I last built icon I tried to follow the instructions in
> the docs about submitting patches for ports, but my email was rejected.

You must have a valid reverse DNS for email to make it through to freebsd.org.
The fact that this mail got through tends to indicate that.  These days
we also have the web submittal form back online.

> Is there someone at FreeBSD.org interested enough in the icon port (or
> things amd64) to answer my question and consider at any patches I come
> up with?

There is no single individual signed up to do the support, so you'll be
somewhat on your own when sending in the PR.  However, there are a large
number of ports committers that tend to work on the unmaintained ports.
In the meantime, this is the right place to ask questions.

mcl