ffmpeg (was: Re: make a pvr )

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Thu Jan 19 11:24:54 PST 2006

>> If I use a fast box I can buy a simple tv card (i.e PCTV rave or
>> Hauppauge WinCast/TV) and then use somekind of programs (which ?

If you use a digital tuner card you don't need a fast CPU for
recording.  You may or may not need a fast CPU for playback
depending on what hardware you use for playback.

> ffmpeg (but you want to get 0.48 not 0.49pre1 which is in the
> current ports tree and suffers from A/V sync errors)

Yes, ffmpeg 0.49pre1 has horrible A/V sync problems.

The current ffmpeg from cvs seems to have okay A/V sync.
http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/download.php
Getting it to compile on FreeBSD 6.0 AMD64 was a bit of work.
Finally I found some patches from Mario S F Ferreira
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-December/028013.html
and the one for configure fixed my problem.  Thank you Mario!

I submitted (*) a patch for configure to the ffmpeg-devel list
but they didn't like it.  I also submitted patches to fix
some of the compiler warnings, but they didn't like those
either.

configure patch
    http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-January/006381.html
compiler warning patches
    http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-January/006394.html

(*) The configure patch is mostly Mario's, in hindsight, I should have
    checked with Mario before submitting it.  Sorry, Mario.