f2c problems with the new malloc (Fwd: [ports-amd64@pointyhat.freebsd.org: arpack-96 failed on amd64 7])

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Tue Jan 17 16:26:31 PST 2006

pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi;
>
> f2c, which arpack uses to generate headers, is having problems with the new
> malloc on amd64 (messages follow). If the problem is difficult to find perhaps
> we should stop generating those headers: I think no port uses them.

I maintain a port that uses Python C extensions (it builds the extensions,
then makes use of them later in the build), and it is having similar
"(malloc) Corrupted redzone" problems on fbsd 7/amd64 according to the latest
unbuildable-ports reports.

Specifically, it's
python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 1 byte after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0x0)
python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 2 bytes after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0x0)
python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 3 bytes after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0x0)
python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 4 bytes after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0x0)

I've never seen this error before and have no way of debugging it.

I'm hesitant to mark the port as broken if this is a temporary problem with
just this one unstable platform. Any info/guidance appreciated...

Thanks
Mike