Distfiles and FTP Traffic-Shaping

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 17 15:15:19 PST 2006

Stefan Walter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Doug Barton, 15.01.06, 09:24h CET:
>
>>> MASTER_SORT_REGEX already exists. From my /etc/make.conf:
>> Interesting. How would you teach this to avoid a certain site?
>
> I only looked briefly at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk, but I don't think
> that's possible.

I had come to that same conclusion, I just hoped that I was wrong. :)

> You could, of course, make sure that you list all other
> SourceForge mirrors in your regex, or redefine MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE
> completely in /etc/make.conf (untested).

Well that would likely work, the problem is that unless I keep on top of it,
I would miss when new mirrors are added, or bad ones deleted. The solution I
chose instead was to use RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES, which gives me 6/8 odds to
get a site that isn't broken (there are two sites using IPv6 in that list
that fetch doesn't play nicely with).

Doug