Some unexplained dependencies of multimedia/avifile

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Jan 12 01:01:46 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:12:42AM -0500, Parv wrote:
> Following ports seem to be dependencies of multimedia/avifile (at least
> listed in INDEX-6) ...
>
>   security/gnutls
>   print/cups-base
>

> ... What are the purpose of gnutls & cups for avifile?  I could not
> find any mention of 'tls' or 'cups' in any of the avi* man pages or
> in any file in /usr/local/share/doc/avifile/.
>
> How are the above dependencies defined if not explicitly listed in
> multimedia/avifile/Makefile?

multimedia/avifile (by default) depends on x11-toolkits/qt33  (due to the
                                         USE_QT_VER=3 statement in the Makefile)
x11-toolkits/qt33 (by default) depends on print/cups-base
print/cups-base (by default) depends on security/gnu-tls

This means that gnutls and cups-base gets pulled in as indirect
dependencies.  avifile itself probably doesn't need them.

>  More importantly, how do i remove cups
> as a dependency for avifile port, possibly in a ports infrastructure
> supported way?

Either use WITHOUT_QT when compiling avifile (which will lose you
some functionality - in particular the aviplay command needs QT)
or compile qt33 with WITHOUT_CUPS (and hope that no other program you have
that uses QT breaks due to this.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson