New /bin/sh based script to manage ports

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 10 10:31:26 PST 2006

Pav Lucistnik wrote:

> Can we get /var/db/pkg globbing? Say, to be able to
>
> portmaster lftp
>
> instead of
>
> portmaster lftp-3.3.5 ?

Let me think about how to implement this. I use a bash completion to make
life simpler, but I agree that it's worthwhile. (Beware line wrap)

_portmaster () {
         local cur
         cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]}

         case "$cur" in
         /usr/ports/*)
                 COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -d $cur ) )
                 ;;
         */*)    COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -d /usr/ports/$cur ) )
                 ;;
         *)      COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -d /var/db/pkg/$cur ) )
                 COMPREPLY=( ${COMPREPLY[@]#/var/db/pkg/} )
                 COMPREPLY=( ${COMPREPLY[@]:-} $( compgen -d /usr/ports/$cur
  ) )
                 ;;
         esac

         return 0
}
complete -F _portmaster portmaster

> An option to update all outdated ports on the system would be nice.

That's next on my list. :)

> I was updating gaim with several outdated dependencies, -i mode only
> asked on some dependencies, it went to update others without asking.
> Perhaps -i is not passed to child invocations?

Yep, braino on my part. I uploaded a version that fixes that issue. Thanks
for pointing this out.

> What about shlib preservation in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg as
> portupgrade does?

*shudder* Way too complex for my tastes. I'd rather rebuild the ports that
depend on that library.

> Otherwise I quite like it.

Thanks! And thanks again for the thought you've put into the feedback you've
given.

Doug