New rc.d code merge timing (Was: Re: Portupgrade confused about editors/emacs)

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Mon Jan 9 09:54:27 PST 2006

+----[ Wesley Shields <wxs at csh.rit.edu> (09.Jan.2006 14:41):

| On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 05:36:34PM +0100, Tobias Roth wrote:
| > On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:11:17AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
| > >
| > > Proposal: a ports-announce mailing list. This should be a
| > > low-volume list where all HEADS UP of i) upcoming changes,
| > > ii) committed changes are posted. Also, non-HEADS-UP
| > > messages, like the ones that make up UPDATING should go to
| > > the list. Messages could well be cross-posted to ports, so
| > > that everyone gets the announcements. But I guess it could
| > > be a good alternative for people that want just the
| > > anouncements. If someones gets an announcement and wants to
| > > see the discussion that lead to the changes, then s/he can
| > > go to the ports@, stable@ and/or current@ archives.
| >
| > Excellent idea, I second it. Especially the UPDATING stuff
| > is often missed, even by people who have time to read ports@
| > regularly.
| >
| > cheers, t.
|
| While I agree with a ports-announce@ list I believe freshports.org will
| mail you when entries to UPDATING are made that are relevant to the
| ports on your watched list.
|
| -- WXS

+----]

OK, but then I will have to remember to upload my list of
installed packages to freshports every time I install a new
port ... I really appreciate the service provided by
freshports but I would rather have a script in /etc/periodic
that would check my installed ports against UPDATING and
notify me if something new appears there.

I'm not a shell guru, but if no one takes it, I would try to
come with a draft implementation.  Does it sound like a good idea?

Fernan