New rc.d code merge timing (Was: Re: Portupgrade confused about editors/emacs)

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Sat Jan 7 16:02:24 PST 2006

Tobias Roth wrote:
> I can understand your position. Yes, I personally would have done it
> differently but I also accept that there are good reasons behind a quick
> MFC in this case. And since most people (including me) will not run
> -STABLE on their production boxes, it may be not that much of a problem
> if some ports startup scripts are broken for a while. Hopefully, all
> problems have been uncovered once 6.1 will be shipped.

Shame on me for running -STABLE in production then. I've always done
this though, but fortunately its never caused any serious problems. It
is called STABLE after all. One question though, were the porters
notified of the upcoming changes? And were they provided with the
appropriate information to write the RC scripts before the merge?