FreeBSD Port: www/apache22

Clement Laforet clement at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 5 08:27:29 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:08:52AM -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Clement Laforet wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 08:58:18PM -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> >
> >>"===>   apache-2.2.0_4 depends on executable: python - not found"
> >>
> >>Why?
> >>

> >"configure" rebuilding requires it. IIRC, it's used to build
> >hearders dependency tree.
>
> How come 2.0 does not need it?
because requirement of python was introduced in the building
process of apr 1.0 release. It's also the case for apache21.
The process of building apache is exactly the same, but now it needs
python.

> I also don't see anything about python
> requirements on apache's website. It seems like needless bloat to me.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html

There are mainly 2 reasons why we have to rebuild apache build script
which depends on python:
- ports tree compliance: libtool, berkeleydb and more
- abilitity to add patches which require a rebuild of build tools

you can safely remove it after or use home made package if you don't
python on your box.

clem