New /bin/sh based script to manage ports

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 5 02:21:24 PST 2006

Howdy,

I've been working on a new script to manage ports. I've put up a web page
about it at http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/portmaster.html

 From that page:

Does the world really need one more port management tool? Well I'm not sure
about the world, but I do know that none of the existing options worked for
me, for a variety of reasons. The two biggest being that I do not want to
have to install yet another language, and I do not want the overhead of a
database to manage the information about what ports I have installed, etc.

The goals I started with for this project were to use /bin/sh so that
nothing else would have to be installed for it to work, and to make use of
the existing data in /var/db/pkg. I now have something that meets those
goals, and does everything I want it to do, so I'm interested in sharing it
with the community.

More information, and a link to download the script are on the page.

Comments welcome,

Doug