amd64 and -fPIC

Thierry Thomas thierry at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 20 13:18:26 PST 2006

Le Lun 20 fév 06 à 15:09:44 +0100, pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com <pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com>
 écrivait :
> Linking static libraries with shared ones is sometimes desirable though.
> CalculiX depends indirectly on math/metis, and Code Aster depends on a
> conflicting package math/metis-edf. CalculiX users are likely to want to try
> Code Aster, building a shared metis library will lead to run time dependencies
> and trouble.

Actually this conflict seems easy to pacify:

- I don't think that math/metis-edf is used by anything else: it is
specific to Code_Aster;

- french/aster only depends on math/metis-edf as a RUN_DEPENDS:

  . metis-edf could install libmetis.a under another name (or even not
    install it...);

  . aster only depends on links to metis-edf's binaries, and the origin
    of these links ('onmetis', 'onmetis.exe', 'pmetis', 'kmetis') could
    be installed in a specific directory, like $PREFIX/metis-edf/bin.

Regards,
--
Th. Thomas.