please check your ports, pre-install vs pre-su-install

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Feb 14 23:09:33 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:47:58PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > just noticed (by running 'make install' as non-root
> > for some ports) that there are many ports in the tree
> > use 'pre-install' to perform actions (such as creating
> > directories etc) that actually require root permissions,
> > and for which i recently learned there is a pre-su-install
> > target.
>
> IMO that's exactly the kind of thing that port authors should not have to
> worry about. Our infrastructure gets more complex every day, and I'm sorry
> to say, sometimes without good reason. I think this is one of those times.

meaning that you are happy for people to override the maintainers
and do the change ?

or that you consider the two targets redundant and just default
to one (pre-install with additional credential switch) should be enough ?
I may agree with the latter.
Yet, it is convenient to do the build as an unprivileged user
and then be able to switch up and install if the build completes
successfully.

	cheers
	luigi