New /bin/sh based script to manage ports

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 13 00:55:12 PST 2006

Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 05:36 pm, Doug Barton wrote:
>> Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
>>> One minor nit I've noticed is that it even tries to update installed
>>> ports that have a higher version number than the one currently in the
>>> ports tree (for instance, some updated ports I haven't submitted
>>> yet). Although not too important for the casual user, it could be
>>> useful to have some means to avoid downgrading these ports.
>
>> D'oh, thanks for mentioning this. I just added a fix for that, and as a
>> result I was able to streamline the check_for_updates() function as
>> well. You can find the new version at the URL below.
>
>> Since this is the last bug/feature request I've received, I plan to
>> work on a port for this script and commit it soon. Of course, if anyone
>> else has feedback or suggestions, please don't hesitate.
>
> Not sure is this is a bug with portmaster, with the ports tree, or with my
> system's setup, but I'm having a hell of a time with openssl-stable.
>
> /etc/make.conf includes WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes and WITH_OPENSSL_STABLE=yes.
> openssl-stable-0.9.7i is installed.
>
> Doing a "portupgrade openssl-stable" results in nothing happening.
>
> Doing a "portmaster openssl-stable" results in it building the
> openssl-stable port, then erroring out on the install with "This port is
> already installed, run make re-install if you want to reinstall it"
> errors.
>
> And it will continue to ask me over and over (as a dependency of other
> ports) if I want to upgrade openssl-stable, when there's nothing for it
> to do.  If I run portmaster without the -i, it will error out almost
> right away as it tries to erroneously build and install openssl-stable as
> a dependency.
>
> I downloaded portmaster after today's e-mail, where you forgot to include
> the URL, so it should be the latest version.

FYI, I have tested this extensively, from several different directions, and
I have been unable to reproduce the problems you describe here. Thus, I
would tend to believe that it is a problem for you locally.

I would suggest that you try the following:

pkg_delete -f openssl*
portmaster -p /usr/ports/security/openssl-stable

The first will obviously delete anything you've got locally, and the second
will build (and hopefully install) the port, and also update your dependency
tracking.

Please let me know if that works for you.

Doug