gamin 0.1.7

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 8 06:27:02 PST 2006

In the last days I worked on porting the latest release of gamin (0.1.7)
to FreeBSD (and cygwin, too, but this is for another mailing list ;-)).
If you don't want to read more, the result was successfully and the new
port may be downloaded for testing from
http://www.alexdupre.com/gamin.tar.gz.
If you are interested in porting work and changed internals go ahead.
The 0.1.7 release works (with about the same bugs of 0.1.5)
out-of-the-box only on Linux with kernel backends (dnotify/inotify).
Polling is broken, kqueue doesn't compile. I fixed all the bugs I found
and tried to make polling and kqueue work flawless.
Internally I replaced the read of the linux /etc/mtab file with a call
to getmntinfo() to know which file system could be monitored by the
kernel and which should be polled. In the latter case the monitoring job
is carried out by the polling backend, in the former the job is
completed by the kqueue backend in the same way is done actually in the
0.1.5 release.
I did many tests on a 6-STABLE with thousands of monitored dirs/files on
ufs and smbfs file systems to catch any possible bug, but it seems it's
working great.
Unless you will find anything wrong with the port, I'm going to commit
it in the end of the week.

--
Alex Dupre