portupgrade slow

Tue Feb 7 11:37:34 PST 2006

Am Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:11:50 +0100
schrieb Ulrich Spoerlein <q at galgenberg.net>:

> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> > On my notebook "portupgrade -a" does nothing for 30 minutes before it
> > starts updating ports. The cpu load is maxed the whole time.
> >
> > On another machine it only takes 15 minutes before starting updates.
> >
> > Anyway, I remember it starting after a couple of seconds, so I guess
> > something goes wrong with parsing the dependencies. Either the latest
> > portupgrade is buggy or there is an inconsistency in the ports.
>
> portupgrade might go and rebuild the INDEX using 'make index', try
> running verbose or keep an eye on top(1) or pstree(1) to see what's
> happening.
>
> Also, how many ports do you have installed? What hardware?

While 15 to 30 minutes is really long, and I think Ulrich found your
problem, portupgrade is a memory hog nowadays... but we have 14k ports
which the pgktools keep in a DB in some way (as a graph), so is anyone
out there who speaks ruby and is willing to have a look if this can be
optimized?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?
WL http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/registry/1FZ4DTHQE9PQ8/ref=wl_em_to/