USE_DOS2UNIX may be more powerful?

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at mail.ru
Mon Feb 6 16:35:26 PST 2006

Hi!

I've just updated games/xmoto port I maintain, and I used newly introduced
USE_DOS2UNIX variable instead of construction like that:

@${FIND} ${WRKSRC}/src -name "*.cpp" -o -name "*.h" | \
	${XARGS} ${REINPLACE_CMD} -e "s|$$(${PRINTF} '\r')||g"

I like the idea, but I think USE_DOS2UNIX should be a bit more powerful.

Let us have a port having many subdirectories with *.cpp and *.h files,
which all need to be dos2unix'ed. Also, there are binary files.  Thus, we
can't use USE_DOS2UNIX=yes as it will corrupt binaries, and we should
specify many paths to files we want to process. For xmoto, to process all
source and header files, I'll need to do this:

USE_DOS2UNIX= src/*.cpp src/*.h src/image/*.cpp src/image/*.h \
		src/tinyxml/*.cpp src/tinyxml/*.h

these are only 3 dirs, I've seen much more.

So what do you think of idea of making USE_DOS2UNIX more like interface to
find utility?

For example, to write this:

USE_DOS2UNIX= src/ libsrc/ *.cpp *.h docs/ *.html *.txt README

to do that:

find ${WRKSRC}/src/ ${WRKSRC}/libsrc/ -name *.cpp -or -name *.h -type f -print0 | xargs ...
find ${WRKSRC}/docs/ -name *.html -or -name *.txt -or -name README -type f -print0 | xargs ...

Syntax may be other (maybe multiline more like OPTIONS), that's point to
discuss. But that surely will be a feature.

If the idea gets accepted, I'll make patches.

--
Best regards,
 Dmitry                          mailto:amdmi3 at mail.ru