hdf-4.2r1 and netcdf-3.6.0p1

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Sun Feb 5 08:51:53 PST 2006

+----[ Anthony M. Agelastos <iqgrande at gmail.com> (05.Feb.2006 10:47):

| Hello all,

Hi,

| I recently tried to install a bunch of scientific software. Two such
| packages are opendx and grace (you can tell that I like data
| visualization). In any event, opendx has hdf as a dependency and
| grace has netcdf as one. After installing opendx, I tried installing
| grace and I get the message that
|
| netcdf-3.6.0p1 conflicts with installed package(s):
| hdf-4.2r1
|
| They install files into the same place.
| Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
|
| Why do they install files into the same place

this can be broken down to:

i) they provide files with the same name

ii) they install to the same place, because the default
place for installing stuff is the same (/usr/local) for all
ports.

but actually the problem is the clash in file names.

| and what can be done so
| that they can coexist on the same machine (without any problems)?

the long term solution is to talk to the upstream authors
and show them the clash in file names, to see if they can
fix it.

the short term solution is to install one of the conflicting
port into another place, i.e.

cd math/grace
make install PREFIX=/usr/local/grace

you will have to add /usr/local/grace/bin to your path, but
it will work.

Preferably, you'd like to install into another PREFIX ports
that provide just executables. If they also provide include
files and/or shared libraries that other ports depend upon,
then I suppose it's not as easy.

| Thank you for your assistance.

You're welcome. Good luck,

Fernan