New /bin/sh based script to manage ports

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-lists-freebsd-ports at weller-fahy.com
Fri Feb 3 11:55:10 PST 2006

* Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> [2006-02-03 09:45 +0100]:
> This depends on which direction you're approaching the problem from.
> When building a port, the check for whether the dependencies of the
> port are up to date uses the list from 'make all-depends-list', which
> will include build dependencies.

I had missed that part of the script on my (brief) read through.  Thanks
for pointing it out.  It makes sense that you'd take all dependencies
into account at the port level.

> However, once a port has been built and installed successfully, the
> list of ports which have a dependency on the updated port is cross
> checked between the +REQUIRED_BY in the package directory and the
> +CONTENTS files of the other installed ports.  In this way we can be
> sure that all appropriate dependencies are recorded, and updated.
> Since BUILD_DEPENDS are not registered in the +CONTENTS or
> +REQUIRED_BY files, they don't show up at that stage, and portmaster
> doesn't update information about them (because that information
> doesn't exist).

Ok, that's where I was confused.  I had not thought out (fully) the
implications of NOT using BUILD_DEPENDS when looking at installed
packages, and thus assumed that 'something' would be missed.  Your
message, however, got me thinking about that, and I realized that I was
wrong.  Thanks for the enlightenment. ;]

Well, back to tinkering with scripts and playing with ports.

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]