New /bin/sh based script to manage ports

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 2 17:36:45 PST 2006

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> One minor nit I've noticed is that it even tries to update installed
> ports that have a higher version number than the one currently in the
> ports tree (for instance, some updated ports I haven't submitted yet).
> Although not too important for the casual user, it could be useful to
> have some means to avoid downgrading these ports.

D'oh, thanks for mentioning this. I just added a fix for that, and as a
result I was able to streamline the check_for_updates() function as well.
You can find the new version at the URL below.

Since this is the last bug/feature request I've received, I plan to work on
a port for this script and commit it soon. Of course, if anyone else has
feedback or suggestions, please don't hesitate.

Doug