www/libwww and SSL

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 29 11:19:58 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 10:40:29AM -0700, Mike Durian wrote:
> One of the sipX components wants to link againt libwwwssl.so.  I believe
> libwwwssl should come from the www/libwww port, but the port does not
> enable this by default.  Nor does there appear to be a configuration
> knob that will enable it.  I haven't been able to find an alternate
> port that builds libwwwssl either (though maybe I didn't look hard
> enough).
>
> I can enable it myself by adding --with-ssl to CONFIGURE_ARGS, but I'm
> wondering if that is a good thing to do.  Is www/libwww built without
> SSL support for a reason (security, buggy, etc.), or is it just an
> oversight?  If it is an oversight, should --with-ssl become part
> of the default configure args for www/libwww?  Or at least have a
> knob added to the Makefile?

The current maintainer of this port is... no one!  :-)  Which means,
if you could submit a patch, that'd be great.

Keep in mind that the change involved will require more than just a
simple Makefile tweak.  You will also need to update pkg-plist to
keep track of the extra libraries installed, any extra documentation,
or utilities as a result of --with-ssl.  Since there's a shared
library involved, you should also use USE_LDCONFIG=yes to update
the ld.so cache.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |