missing libgnat-GPL2005.a

John Merryweather Cooper john_m_cooper at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 24 19:59:03 PST 2006

Petr Holub wrote:
> Hi Karel,
>
> while resurrecting textproc/xmlada, I've encountered one rather stupid
> problem I can't find a reasonable solution for. In the last phase of
> building libxmlada_unicode.so.2.0.1, I end up with the following error:

<SNIP>
> /usr/ports/textproc/xmlada/work/xmlada-gpl-2.0.1/unicode/obj/unicode-names-yi_sy
> llables.o
> /usr/ports/textproc/xmlada/work/xmlada-gpl-2.0.1/unicode/obj/unicode-ccs-iso_885
> 9_15.o
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgnat-GPL2005
> gnatmake: gcc execution error
>
> It looks like gnatmake from lang/gnat (GNAT/GPL 2005) is seriously
> missing libgnat-GPL2005.a (note that gnat-GPL2005 is never mentioned
> in the project files, so it must be a kind of implicit dependency).
> If I make a copy of libgnat.so to libgnat-GPL2005.a in
> /usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-portbld-freebsd6.2/3.4.5/adalib,
> it passes successfuly. However, any other workaround (including
> copying the libgnat-GPL2005.a to ${working_dir} and using
> -largs -L${working_dir} or modifying the project files) didn't
> work and it looks like gnatmake is just ignoring these options
> for some reason (maybe because it is building a shared library?).
>
> Do you have idea for any other workaround except for modifying
> the lang/gnat so that it creates libgnat-GPL2005.a in
> /usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-portbld-freebsd6.2/3.4.5/adalib?
> If no, would it be possible to modify the port so that it
> creates the libgnat-GPL2005.a?
>
> BTW, lang/gnat-gcc41 is just fine here and compiles and builds
> the xmlada cleanly.
>
> Thanks,
> Petr

>                             Petr Holub
> CESNET z.s.p.o.                       Supercomputing Center Brno
> Zikova 4                             Institute of Compt. Science
> 162 00 Praha 6, CZ                            Masaryk University
> Czech Republic                     Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ
> e-mail: Petr.Holub at cesnet.cz               phone: +420-549493944
>                                              fax: +420-541212747
>                                        e-mail: hopet at ics.muni.cz

It looks like a bug in gnatmake and/or gnatgcc.  I've built and
installed all three versions of gnat from ports, and all three versions
install the normative environment library as libgnat.a.  It shouldn't be
possible to build too many working programs without correctly linking to
libgnat.a, so I'm curious as to what's going wrong to trigger this error.

jmc