flash 9

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Wed Dec 20 05:33:08 PST 2006

Quoting Vasil Dimov <vd at FreeBSD.org>:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:51:47PM -0600, eculp at encontacto.net wrote:
>> I wish there were no flash but there is and most all want flash 8 or 9
>> and we have 7 in ports.  I just saw linux flash 9 in adobe in both
>> player and plugin.  Has anyone successfully installed the flash 9
>> plugin in freebsd 6 or 7?   Could I ask what you had to do?
>
> There was a discussion about this on this list a few months ago. Go
> ahead and find it :-)

Thanks, Vasil.  As they say "been there, done that"  Even the other
*bsd lists and forums from 2006.  The standard ends up being use a
linux browser in emulation mode (firefox and opera) and the flash 7
plugin from adobe.  This whole thing came up because of the increase
of flash 8/9 now.  I haven't found a solution in that area, yet,
although I have tried the latest linux flash 9 beta plugin and stuck
it in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so.  It
crashes all versions of firefox and opera doesn't crash but it doesn't
play most advanced sites either.  Basically just the ones that flash 7
play.

Over the years, I've experienced the linuxplugin stuff as being very,
very elusive.  We tend to spend hours rebuilding, verifying links,
linuxpluginwrapper and 15 days of multimedia heaven, that the sky
tends to fall.
/usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Again thanks for your reply.  Have a great day.

ed