Patch for 'expect'

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Wed Dec 13 22:45:15 PST 2006

Hi Ports Maintainers,

I just spent the last few days sorting out a problem with expect on my
6.1 box.  I have a patch to the expect interpreter on this platform that
I'd like to offer for your review.  There's a problem with the way
expect searches for available ptys that makes it only capable of
utilizing the first 64 device nodes rather than the full 256 available.

I'm brand new to the FreeBSD community coming from years on Solaris and
AIX, so I don't know the "channels" through which to push this.  It's a
very simple patch, 3 lines of code change, context diff drops right into
/usr/ports/lang/expect/files.  I also have test cases that show the
behavior before and after the patch.

I've already sent the patch to the maintainers of expect at NIST for
inclusion upstream, if you'd rather wait for their reaction to it, I
understand.  But since it's a drop in fix I thought I'd offer it for
inclusion in the ports tree to fix the problem locally until then.

If I'm out of line, please let me know, like I said, I'm new and I'm
unsure how to proceed.

Sincerely,
Eric Brunson