HEADS UP : security/gnupg will be upgraded to 2.0.1

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 13 14:08:19 PST 2006

Vasil Dimov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 10:44:00AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
>> At Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:28:21 -0800,
>> Doug Barton wrote:
> [...]
>>> What might make sense is for the gnupg 2.x port to install a gpg
>>> symlink to gpg2. I've done that on my own system for convenience sake.
>>> That will get hairy if the user tries to install gnupg 1.x though.
>>> Both gnupg ports will need logic to handle what to do with the symlink
>>> if the other port is installed.
>> Seems fine.  Like this?
>
> Just my 2 cents:
>
> -		NLS "Native Language Support" on \
> [...]
> +OPTIONS=	NLS "Include National Language Support" on \
>
> I believe the N in NLS stands for Native.

It's National. That's why you have things like en_US, which translates
roughly to, "English as spoken in the United States." Whether this is
a good idea or not is a whole other kettle of fish. :)  (It solves
some problems nicely, and creates others, but  digress.)

> [...]
> +verify:	checksum
> +	gpg --verify ${DISTDIR}/${DISTNAME}${EXTRACT_SUFX}.sig
>
> You are referencing the old gpg executable here (or the link in which
> case it does not matter) here.
> Is this intentional? Shouldn't it be gpg2?

Given that gpg the 1.x binary, gpg the link to gpg2, and gpg2 all have
the same functionality when it comes to --verify, I don't think it
matters, and it's more intuitive from a bootstrapping perspective.
(Users are more likely to have the real gpg 1.x or the symlink already
installed than they are to have gpg2 already installed.)

Jun,

The changes look good. The only thing missing (I discovered to my
chagrin the other day) is the PORTDOCS for GnuPG 2. I can work that up
if you like. My only other comment is that in pkg-install you could
probably simplify:

if [ -r ${PKG_PREFIX}/bin/gpg ] || [ -L ${PKG_PREFIX}/bin/gpg ]; then
       # Skip.
else
       ln -s gpg2 ${PKG_PREFIX}/bin/gpg
fi

to:

if [ ! -e "${PKG_PREFIX}/bin/gpg" ]; then
	ln -s gpg2 ${PKG_PREFIX}/bin/gpg
fi

hth,

Doug